Birmingham Franchise Litigation Attorneys
A franchise allows one business to acquire an existing business model and brand, along with everything associated with the established brand. A franchisor sells the right to use one or more trade names and to operate a business under certain parameters, usually in exchange for a cash payment or an ongoing fee. This basket of rights and understandings is known as a “franchise.”
A franchise agreement comes with many obligations placed on a franchisee, who is taking on the responsibility of managing and maintaining the franchisor’s brand and reputation. Franchisors are obligated by law to make certain disclosures to prospective franchisees. Our franchise litigation lawyers represent both franchisors and franchisees with franchise litigation.
We can help you with:
Franchise Disclosure Document
Information required to be disclosed in the FDD includes:
- Detailed statement of payments and other compensation expected from the franchisee
- Length of time the franchisor has been in business
- Prior offerings and sales of the franchise
- Recent fraud-related judgments or settlements
- The franchisor’s business or trade name
- Trademarks or other intellectual property that identify the franchised goods or services
Some common disputes between franchisees and franchisors involve allegations that the franchisor failed to disclose information required by FTC regulations, failure to pay required fees pursuant to the franchise agreement, misuse of intellectual property, and other various breach of contract claims.
Some common disputes include:
- Breach of a franchise agreement
- Consumer fraud claims
- Failure to disclose information as required by state or federal law
- Failure to register franchise offerings
- Fraud in the offering of a franchise
- Fraud in the purchase of a franchise
- Infringement or misuse of trademark or copyright
Wrongful Termination of Franchisees
Let our 135 years of combined experience in representing a variety of businesses in a multitude of disputes inside and outside the courtroom. We work tirelessly to address your concerns, and help you understand all of the options available to you.
Franchise Litigation Lawyers
Gordon, Dana & Gilmore, LLC is the preferred law firm for the handling and referral of sensitive business, personal and litigation matters that require “troubleshooting expertise” as well as a professional approach at a higher level.