Physician Partnership Agreements & Practice Group Disputes Attorneys- Birmingham, AL
We have over 135 years of legal experience representing a variety of businesses in legal disputes in Alabama.
As the health care industry evolves, many doctors are forming partnerships or merging practice groups into larger practice groups. Such partnerships can benefit doctors who can then share common expenses allowing them to take on more patients and treat more people.
Medical groups or partnerships are often-times put together with little or no input from business lawyers. Taking the time and planning at the outset of a partnership can save countless hours and costs later if disputes occur.
Some of the most common issues our lawyers see are:
- Doctors sign an employment contract with a partnership that includes an option to become a partner but one or more of the existing partners later refuse to allow the doctor to become a partner
- Personality conflicts cause doctors to separate but nothing in writing exists for distributing equipment, shared personnel, or shared patients
- The partnership agreement does not address the addition of new equity partners or the effect such additions have on the shares held by the existing partners
- The partnership agreement fails to detail a method for dissolution of the partnership when one or more doctors want to leave the group
- The partnership agreement lacks a way for removing a partner who has engaged in unethical behavior or is no longer contributing to the practice group
- The practice group wants to merge with another practice group but does not know the requirements on how to do this legally
- There is nothing in place for valuing the practice group if a partner requests to be bought out or to buy another partner’s shares
At some point chances are that one or more of these issues may occur. It is important to be aware of the legal consequences that can come from partnership or merger disputes. These disputes can lead to unneeded expenses or anguish that can ultimately destroy a practice. Getting a knowledgeable lawyer involved at the begininning of a practice group merger or physician partnership will allow the parties to focus their time and energies on growing the practice.
Our attorneys have years of experience negotiating and litigating partnership agreements and mergers. Having worked with numerous doctors and physician groups, we are familiar with the issues involved when physicians and practice groups come together. Our experience also allows us to handle legal matters and issues that regularly occur within existing physician partnerships and / or practice groups.
Physician Partnership Agreements & Practice Group Dispute Lawyers
Gordon, Dana & Gilmore, LLC is the preferred law firm for the handling and referral of sensitive business, personal and litigation matters that require “troubleshooting expertise” as well as a professional approach at a higher level.